Kitefoil forum
La structure du forum est en cours de modification suite aux demandes de plusieurs membres. Merci de participer à la discussion en cours sur les améliorations possibles ici:
https://kitefoil.forumactif.org/t1188-opportun-de-creer-des-sous-rubriques#11847
Kitefoil forum
La structure du forum est en cours de modification suite aux demandes de plusieurs membres. Merci de participer à la discussion en cours sur les améliorations possibles ici:
https://kitefoil.forumactif.org/t1188-opportun-de-creer-des-sous-rubriques#11847
Kitefoil forum
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

Kitefoil forum

Le forum bilingue du Kitefoil -The bilingual Kitefoil forum

AccueilAccueil  RechercherRechercher  Dernières imagesDernières images  S'enregistrerS'enregistrer  Connexion  
Le Deal du moment : -50%
-50% Baskets Nike Air Huarache Runner
Voir le deal
69.99 €

Where do I start?

4 participants
AuteurMessage
Payback
Membre

Kitesurf depuis/since : 0
Masculin Messages : 27
Weight/Poids: : 100
Foil: : In production
Kites/Ailes: : F-One Bandit 4's
Wind/Vent: : 20-25

Where do I start? Empty
MessageSujet: Where do I start?   Where do I start? EmptyLun 20 Fév 2012 - 14:14

Looking at building my own foil and I'm sure you guys have been asked this many times and excuse me if I have not found the relevant post (if there is one) but what are the basics or even golden rules when starting out trying to make your own foil. Are there any. I've been trolling the internet and have found so many different shapes out there and they all seem to work, some better than others no doubt but the principle remains the same.

Thanks in advance.
Revenir en haut Aller en bas
cookiemonster
Membre
cookiemonster

Kitesurf depuis/since : 2006
Masculin Messages : 200
Weight/Poids: : 72kg
Foil: : AlpineFoil Ultimate
Kites/Ailes: : Elf Joker5 15m & 11m, RRD Religion 7 & 5m
Wind/Vent: : Je prends tout ce qu'il y a ... on va pas gacher!

Where do I start? Empty
MessageSujet: Re: Where do I start?   Where do I start? EmptyMar 21 Fév 2012 - 20:17

Welcome Payback!

Are you a total beginner on a foil, or already advanced?
The problem with hydrofoil is that riding with these beasts is tricky a the beginning!
Even for an advanced rider, some time is needed to get used to a new shape and adjust it.

If you're a beginner, I would advise to learn with something that you know that works
... while making your own in parallel.
You would loose a lot of time & energy trying to learn & adjust on the same toy

otherwise, Franckite24 put a good post a while ago in the French section, with dimensions:
https://kitefoil.forumactif.org/t864-petite-contribution-pour-bases-cotees
He's one of the most advanced

It's not too difficult to make one but it is very time consuming (expect 100hours min for board & foil!)
... especially if you are already used to working with the materials!
It gets more tricky only if you want something very efficient
Payback
Membre

Where do I start? Empty
MessageSujet: Re: Where do I start?   Where do I start? EmptyMar 21 Fév 2012 - 20:39

Brilliant, thanks Cookie. I've been trolling the French section and already have a few ideas. On the building side I'm pretty jacked up it's the science behind it that interests me as well. There seems to be a lot of different foil shapes and they all seem to work. I saw a vide on YouTube of a guy that made one form old pieces of wood and it worked lol. not that I'd like to make one from old pieces of wood lol. It's would probably be AIREX and Carbon.

On the board side I have a old Connelly Skurfer that I'm going to breath life into again. I think it would be perfect for this project and could spend the time saved focusing on the foils and T-bar. Also love your see through boards. I think I followed your project on the Yahoo board builders forum many years ago. I'm JMF BTW on the Kiteforum.com Board Builders section.

Connelly Blade Runner Skurfer

Where do I start? Attachment
franckite24
Membre
franckite24

Kitesurf depuis/since : 1993
Masculin Messages : 6155
Weight/Poids: : 63
Foil: : foils développés personnellement
Kites/Ailes: : flymaax toon 10m
UFO 7M
wings STORM et DUOTONE
Wind/Vent: : de 6 a 40nts

Where do I start? Empty
MessageSujet: Re: Where do I start?   Where do I start? EmptyDim 26 Fév 2012 - 19:55

hello payback
Your board seems to be OK (good shape for foil)
The T bar is the most important part of the foil ,it must be realy strong with a hard flex.
Good luck for your project
We folow you and Cookie as enough expérience to help you;for sure Wink

chris_middleton
Membre
chris_middleton

Kitesurf depuis/since : 1997
Masculin Messages : 601
Weight/Poids: : 93Kgs
Foil: : Zeeko Spitfire
Kites/Ailes: : North Carves
Wind/Vent: : 8-40 knts

Where do I start? Empty
MessageSujet: Re: Where do I start?   Where do I start? EmptyDim 26 Fév 2012 - 21:28

Hi PayBack - I posted to you last week but for what ever reason the post evidently did not materialise... sorry about that.

Not much more to add to what has been said other than to reiterate welcome.

If you've already trolled through the french part of the site you'll find Franc's notes and calculations that give a great base to plan your foil. If you have any questions just throw then out on this side of the forum and someone will get back to you - most people on here are really helpful and happy to share genuine advice.

Good luck with your project and I guess we all look forward to seeing it finished.
http://www.wooden-stuff.com
Payback
Membre

Where do I start? Empty
MessageSujet: Re: Where do I start?   Where do I start? EmptyLun 27 Fév 2012 - 8:28

Again thank you for the welcome guys, hope I can be of help in the future as well.

Was wandering if anyone could help me find a post in the French section (think it was one of Franks replies) that gave a basic/ruff break down on some different part dimension/sizes you could work off as a base.I found the info and thought I saved it but I can't find it anywhere on my PC. I've gone through all the posts I looked at on the French section can't find the info again. It was in reply (I think) to a person asking about T-Bar and fuselage dimensions.

Thanks in advance.
chris_middleton
Membre
chris_middleton

Kitesurf depuis/since : 1997
Masculin Messages : 601
Weight/Poids: : 93Kgs
Foil: : Zeeko Spitfire
Kites/Ailes: : North Carves
Wind/Vent: : 8-40 knts

Where do I start? Empty
MessageSujet: Re: Where do I start?   Where do I start? EmptyLun 27 Fév 2012 - 18:05

Lots of info in the link above from CookieMonster - cheers for chivers. Not sure where you're based in SA but Jay Furness was into Kitefoiling wayback 2007/08 if you know where he's at maybe worth giving him a shout - the ex-manager of Aaron Hadlow and Team Flexifoil, just a thought...
http://www.wooden-stuff.com
Contenu sponsorisé

Where do I start? Empty
MessageSujet: Re: Where do I start?   Where do I start? Empty

Where do I start?
Page 1 sur 1