Kitefoil forum
La structure du forum est en cours de modification suite aux demandes de plusieurs membres. Merci de participer à la discussion en cours sur les améliorations possibles ici:
https://kitefoil.forumactif.org/t1188-opportun-de-creer-des-sous-rubriques#11847
Kitefoil forum
La structure du forum est en cours de modification suite aux demandes de plusieurs membres. Merci de participer à la discussion en cours sur les améliorations possibles ici:
https://kitefoil.forumactif.org/t1188-opportun-de-creer-des-sous-rubriques#11847
Kitefoil forum
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

Kitefoil forum

Le forum bilingue du Kitefoil -The bilingual Kitefoil forum

AccueilAccueil  RechercherRechercher  Dernières imagesDernières images  S'enregistrerS'enregistrer  Connexion  
-40%
Le deal à ne pas rater :
-40% sur le Pack Gaming Mario PDP Manette filaire + Casque filaire ...
29.99 € 49.99 €
Voir le deal

What light wind kites are you using?

4 participants
AuteurMessage
chris_middleton
Membre
chris_middleton

Kitesurf depuis/since : 1997
Masculin Messages : 601
Weight/Poids: : 93Kgs
Foil: : Zeeko Spitfire
Kites/Ailes: : North Carves
Wind/Vent: : 8-40 knts

What light wind kites are you using? Empty
MessageSujet: What light wind kites are you using?   What light wind kites are you using? EmptyJeu 23 Oct 2008 - 18:24

Has anyone found the perfect light wind kite?
I have been using a 14m Contra on 35m lines and in August I could ride in 8knts of wind - however, if you put the kite in the water you have to be prepared to swim. Cause at such low wind strengths this kite refuses to relaunch. I guess it is the same for most pump up kites on 4 lines at such low wind speeds.
Revenir en haut Aller en bas
http://www.wooden-stuff.com
Laurent Ness
Membre
Laurent Ness

Kitesurf depuis/since : 1993
Masculin Messages : 4364
Weight/Poids: : 70 kg
Foil: : Foils divers selon les années
Kites/Ailes: : Airush Ultra, Cabrinha Radar, North Evo ...
Wind/Vent: : 5 -> 25

MessageSujet: Re: What light wind kites are you using?   What light wind kites are you using? EmptyJeu 23 Oct 2008 - 18:40

Maybe not, if you have a5th line that allows you to flip the kite on its back to relaunch it. Will it relaunch in 8 knots ? We have to try that on my 14.
http://kiteinside.com
chris_middleton
Membre
chris_middleton

MessageSujet: Re: What light wind kites are you using?   What light wind kites are you using? EmptyJeu 23 Oct 2008 - 18:44

Yes you are absolutely right Laurent that is why I made the point of referring to only 4 line kites - the fifth line may be our saving grace as we discussed earlier in the week.
tinyE
Membre
tinyE

MessageSujet: Re: What light wind kites are you using?   What light wind kites are you using? EmptyJeu 23 Oct 2008 - 20:06

but flipping a kite on it's back with the foil attached is pretty tricky. especially if the foil is aluminum!

I don't really go out in anything less than i can relaunch my 12m waroo in.
chris_middleton
Membre
chris_middleton

MessageSujet: Re: What light wind kites are you using?   What light wind kites are you using? EmptyJeu 23 Oct 2008 - 21:55

Yes I hadn't thought about that - the carbon foil caused havoc in the initial stages I recall. When your used to riding a directional or TT it is surprising that you don't even think about what you do with your legs when you bail out prior to water starting.

BINGO you do when you foil board because you can afford to tread water violently (like I used to) otherwise you kick the foil and SH_T does it hurt, probably even more so with and Alu foil.
Laurent Ness
Membre
Laurent Ness

MessageSujet: Re: What light wind kites are you using?   What light wind kites are you using? EmptyJeu 23 Oct 2008 - 22:05

tinyE a écrit:
but flipping a kite on it's back with the foil attached is pretty tricky. especially if the foil is aluminum!

I don't really go out in anything less than i can relaunch my 12m waroo in.

I am not sure to understand. Do you use footstraps? It sounds you have boots on your foil ?
Do you mean that with the foil connected to the legs it is difficult because with straps we leave the foil behind, relaunch the kite first and the wind brings the foil back to you afterwards.
chris_middleton
Membre
chris_middleton

MessageSujet: Re: What light wind kites are you using?   What light wind kites are you using? EmptyJeu 23 Oct 2008 - 22:14

Yes Laurent the SkySki is a foilboard that uses snowboard type bindings - so Brett is attached to the board full time - if I understand correctly. Therefore kite launching proves to be more challenging than with the Carafino where you can leave it to float around for a while and then body drag back to it.
tinyE
Membre
tinyE

MessageSujet: Re: What light wind kites are you using?   What light wind kites are you using? EmptyVen 24 Oct 2008 - 17:54

yes, snowboard boots and flow bindings. I've told Jake that I wanted to experiment with this a little, but he laughs at me with the ideas I come up with.

The problem with staying attached to the foil where I kite, is that we are in a river, typically with the current flowing in the opposite direction of the wind. If I drop the kite, or fall, the current pushes the foil underneath and behind me.

if the kite is in the air, I end up spinning under the kite, doing hand-to-hand pass until I can get the foil back in the right direction. I envy the straps sometimes!
carafinouk

carafinouk

Weight/Poids: : 90
Foil: : carafino big and small wing
Kites/Ailes: : Ocean Rodeo 6-14m
Wind/Vent: : 6 -40 Knott

MessageSujet: Re: What light wind kites are you using?   What light wind kites are you using? EmptyVen 7 Nov 2008 - 20:15

The biggest kite I use is a Ocean Rodeo Rise 14 and as long as the wind does not drop below 6 mph I can keep going ( 10 mph gust is useful to get me on the wing) I am riding a carafino on a big wing in these conditions
The main thing with the kites is they must be fast. We are using the kites well below their designed wind range and need as much help with steering as possible.
I have also used the Ozone Edge which works well . My only criticism is the 5th line. I dropped the kite in a lull and it rolled inside its self. 5th line wrapped around the kite. This is not an issue with 4 liners.
Best bet for ultra low wind is a land foil or if you can afford it a flysurfer.

The only problem I still have is going down wind especial if there is any wave. The amount of time I have overtaken the kite is beyond belief. The best cure I have found is to set my kite so it oversheets and flies backwards into the power zone
chris_middleton
Membre
chris_middleton

MessageSujet: Re: What light wind kites are you using?   What light wind kites are you using? EmptyVen 7 Nov 2008 - 20:23

Hey Richard,

Do you have different size front wings for the foil - I'm a similar weight and getting the foil onto the plane with the regular/standard wing is some what challenging - to say the least in anything below a minimum 9knts for me. I'm sure that is partly technique but after 4 months of riding nothing but the carafino I'm beginning to wonder if I don't need a larger front wing?
carafinouk

carafinouk

Weight/Poids: : 90
Foil: : carafino big and small wing
Kites/Ailes: : Ocean Rodeo 6-14m
Wind/Vent: : 6 -40 Knott

MessageSujet: Re: What light wind kites are you using?   What light wind kites are you using? EmptyVen 7 Nov 2008 - 21:51

Chris
have a look here
http://carafinouk.com/indexcara.html
Does your wing look like the ones in the tittle or the nearest yellow board in the mouseover with a straight trailing edge.
I would think it is the small curved wing you have.
The big wing is in production but not a yet released. (It was the original Carafino wing)
I am hoping to get a batch before Christmas .
The new wing is made for the current t piece and although the bolt holes are the same the slot may need a little sanding to fit. My preproduction took about 10 mins of sanding. An easy job.
You will also have to move your rear foot pad a little way forward as the centre of effort on the larger wing is forward. I do not move the front pad.
The large wing gives better low wind performance especially up wind and before now if a race has a heavy up wind bias I have used a small kite with the big blade.
Like all things there is a down side and that is lack of performance off wind on stronger days . There is just too much lift
Hope this help all
Richard
chris_middleton
Membre
chris_middleton

MessageSujet: Re: What light wind kites are you using?   What light wind kites are you using? EmptySam 8 Nov 2008 - 1:26

Cheers Richard,

You're absolutely right I have the small curved blade and not the original larger blade as featured in the image on your site - I will have to get a hold of one soooooooooooon. Glad to know that my conclusion was reasonably correct Smile
tinyE
Membre
tinyE

MessageSujet: Re: What light wind kites are you using?   What light wind kites are you using? EmptyLun 10 Nov 2008 - 23:09

so manny is going back to the huge front wing? interesting. I used to have one, and that sucker was big. he told me they liked it that size because it could catch the swell energy for surfing easily.

the big wing has pros/cons. It will fly at a slower speed, but if you jump, when you land, it's a back breaker.
Invité
Invité

MessageSujet: PETER LYNN C QUAD   What light wind kites are you using? EmptyVen 17 Sep 2010 - 21:28

Hello all,
This interests me as I am known for founding indoor no wind sport kite flying,,but thats another story.
I often ride with a 14m vegas on 37 meter lines, on a 150 x 50 strapless, rockerless, finless board and go upwind better than anything BUT A HYDROFOIL!!
A while back, before ANY kiteboarding, knowing buggyers used BIG, 8.5, 10.5 m peter lynn c quad kites.
NO WATER RELAUNCH, FLOWN WITH 4 LINE HANDLES, NEED TO BE ADAPTED TO BAR USE! SHIT TO BUILD, PACK, HARD TO FLY FOR NON KITERS.
Best up wind, low wind power I have ever seen or used including new big thin foil kites.
I hope that once I can keep trim with a hydrofoil to test these WONDERFUL, OLD, UNIQUE, WELL THOUGHT OUT KITES.
From the genius that is PETER LYNN. CHECK IT OUT
Although come to think of it, do not even know if one can still get or find these gems?
If and when I get there, will let all know.

SCARY THOUGHT.......

MARK BLANC

SUPER ULTRA LIGHT CUSTOM ICAREX PL C QUAD, MAYBE EVEN 12,5 M2

SUPER THIN LONG LINES

4 OR 5 KNOTS?

Laurent Ness
Membre
Laurent Ness

MessageSujet: Re: What light wind kites are you using?   What light wind kites are you using? EmptyDim 19 Sep 2010 - 21:33

Funny, I have spoken with somebody yesterday about the C-Quad 8,5.
The only problem, this kite is not relaunchable but no inflatable kite properly relaunches under 5 knots... Do foil kites like Flysurfers relaunch in these UL wind conditions ?
Invité
Invité

MessageSujet: c quads and foils, kites that is!   What light wind kites are you using? EmptyLun 20 Sep 2010 - 14:46

hi,
At the time peter also made 10.5 m c quads and his team rider
, a young hot boarder from NZ, KANE HARTILL iF I recall, could ride in very low wind, although I do not have exact numbers.
As you say NO chance TO water relaunch. PERIOD. AND DELICATE TO PILOT, ALMOST REV LIKE!!
I used to kite board with a quadrifoil 9m icarex , if you were fast to relaunch it was possible, I am sure I will test this now that I RISE UP!
As for flysurfers, I have not had the chance to test water relaunch, but have flown the latest,GOOD POWER, but slow, I would like better on handles also.
I would also like to test these with a water wing. they cost!!!!
So yesterday I did around 100 meters in gusty tram 25 knots or so on 7 m in each direction.
I AM PROGRESSING SLOWLY BUT SURELY AND HAVE SO MANY BUILDING IDEAS!!!

WHAT A FANTASTIC THING TO DO!!!

later david hoping for some light marine to use bigger kites
Laurent Ness
Membre
Laurent Ness

MessageSujet: Re: What light wind kites are you using?   What light wind kites are you using? EmptyLun 20 Sep 2010 - 16:24

I have tested Kane Hartill's 8,5 on Saint Pierre la mer Inner small lake. Great guy, Kane, I wonder what he is doing now ?
This kite was awesome, you are right. You should communicate with mbkite on the french side of the forum. I think he started with C Quads.
David, can you please not use the Capitals too much. They are supposed to express that you are yelling. And you are not I know. Even if I can understand that you feel a HUGE enthusiasm for this new FABULOUS sport !
Do you read the french side of the forum ? It is much more living. I don not know if France is more enthusiastic with foiling than english speaking countries ?
chris_middleton
Membre
chris_middleton

MessageSujet: Re: What light wind kites are you using?   What light wind kites are you using? EmptyLun 20 Sep 2010 - 23:34

I think we're on the cutting edge Laurent - not much happening in the UK. Other countries I'm not sure of. David what you need to do is jump in your car or on the train and shoot up to Montpellier - the wind is much easier to ride in. Leucate is a gusty high wind zone - I was there with Laurent 2 weekends ago and it was a real battle on the foil. You will progress so much quicker in a more constant wind strength - drop me or Laurent a line and we'll organise something.
Invité
Invité

MessageSujet: Yes, would like to ride with you guys soon!   What light wind kites are you using? EmptyMer 22 Sep 2010 - 14:21

Hi Chris,
To bad I missed you when you and Laurent were here in La franqui a few weeks back, I was at a kite festival.
Lets keep an eye on the wind where you are, and know when you and Laurent are free for a day, just let me know!
See pm for my phone.
Off to epoxy my next better water wing!
David RISE UP!
Laurent Ness
Membre
Laurent Ness

MessageSujet: Re: What light wind kites are you using?   What light wind kites are you using? EmptyMer 22 Sep 2010 - 20:44

David, I do not have my foil here, it is in Cannes for modifications. I will let you know when I get it back so you can organize to come and test it when we meet.
Invité
Invité

MessageSujet: Please do!   What light wind kites are you using? EmptyJeu 23 Sep 2010 - 12:01

Hi Laurent and Chris,
Please do contact me when you have your BETTER foil and day off with good wind forcast.
Please think of spot between us if possible.
David
Contenu sponsorisé

MessageSujet: Re: What light wind kites are you using?   What light wind kites are you using? Empty

What light wind kites are you using?
Page 1 sur 1