Kitefoil forum
La structure du forum est en cours de modification suite aux demandes de plusieurs membres. Merci de participer à la discussion en cours sur les améliorations possibles ici:
http://kitefoil.forumactif.org/t1188-opportun-de-creer-des-sous-rubriques#11847

Kitefoil forum

Le forum bilingue du Kitefoil -The bilingual Kitefoil forum

CalendrierCalendrier  AccueilAccueil  FAQFAQ  RechercherRechercher  MembresMembres  GroupesGroupes  S'enregistrerS'enregistrer  Connexion  

Partagez

How I hurt myself in2008

AuteurMessage
Invité
Invité

How I hurt myself in2008 Empty
MessageSujet: How I hurt myself in2008   How I hurt myself in2008 EmptyMer 15 Sep 2010 - 20:52

Hello all.
I just found this forum and am have already learned loads, thanx to all who take the time to post!
When I learned to kite board in 1999 with a modified wind surf board and handles on a foil,I had little info, just went for it.
I proved to myself that I could indeed progress and enjoy sliding on the water pulled by a kite.
I even changed my life to live in windy la franqui to ride more! 2001
I am an accomplished rider, should be for all the time I go!
When I first say a kite stand up hydrofoil I was very interested, as I ride a unicycle thought this looked like a water uni!! early 2008
So I built one,loads of time, not much money, what I wanted to again see if I could even rise a little.
As I saw at that time guys using wake board boots with bindings or straps, I did the same.
I choose a good side shore day, 12 knots or so with a 12m kite.
I used windsurf board straps very tight on my feet!

BIG MISTAKE

I had read that once the board leaves the water one needs to "stomp" with the front foot to keep the foil from exiting the water.
I was of course going very slow.
When I applied weight to my front foot the board dove FAST AND TOE SIDE FORWARD SPRAINING BOTH ANKELS, and stretched both knees, not to mention straining my back!!

NO MOUNTAIN BIKE, TENNIS, AND WORST OF ALL KITE BOARDING FOR A GOOD 2 WEEKS!

About 2 months later I had access to a real carafino, so why not test to see if maybe my home built board was silly.
I did almost the same mistake but at least had the straps looser so the dreaded foil toe side flip hurt less.
I quit!! I had never seen anyone ride and there were no locals learning either.

This year I had the GREAT PLEASURE TO SEE MARK BLANC FOIL AT THE MONDIAL DU VENT IN LA FRANQUI!

WHAT A GUY!!

NEVER, EVER WOULD HAVE GUESSED ONE COULD FOIL STRAPLESS!!

Sorry for the yelling caps but Mark merits this and more.
I thank him for reinvigorating my interest.

I talked briefly with him and decided to build another with no rear strap and VERY LOOSE FRONT.

DUE TO THE EXPERIENCE of making the first one way back in 2008 this one is better, still funky!!

As I am just at the dolphine stage and if I get 10 yards or so Am well pleased KNOW I AM A RANK BEGINNER!!
But I sure found what works for me!!

HALF STRAPS

I cut a normal kiteboard strap in half and inserted aluminum and tested.
Proved the idea but was to flexable.
I found "FOOT HOOKS" by nobile, a dense foam half strap.....mounted, tested WORKS FOR ME.
i FIND THAT ONCE YOU HAVE YOUR FEET in the half straps you can with your ankels pull up the foil strut to water start, but in case of toe side flip or bottoming out your feet leave the board! And gives the needed board foot fixation to learn control.

I also think that, again at least for me, riding a strapless, rockerless, finless board helps, especially working on weight distribution and visualising a strut below.

I must thank Olivier Moragues from toulouse for two important ideas.
How to hold the board to get your feet on and rear foot position.
Huge thanx to Laurent Ness and Chris M for their time to keep this going.
PLEASE DO NOT HESITATE TO ASK ME OR OTHERS QUESTIONS OR ADD IDEAS YOURSELF! THATS HOW FORUMS WORK!!

I have other kite and board ideas to share but enough for now.

I sure look forward to the session when I can control the water wing, not it controlling me!! Was the same with a revolution kite and rc heli, got them both!

Oh well only 5 sessions and counting............THE LEARNING CURVE IS SO REWARDING......

SURE IS A NICE FEELING TO RISE UP!! DAVID BRITTAIN
Revenir en haut Aller en bas

How I hurt myself in2008
Page 1 sur 1