Kitefoil forum
La structure du forum est en cours de modification suite aux demandes de plusieurs membres. Merci de participer à la discussion en cours sur les améliorations possibles ici:
http://kitefoil.forumactif.org/t1188-opportun-de-creer-des-sous-rubriques#11847

Kitefoil forum

Le forum bilingue du Kitefoil -The bilingual Kitefoil forum

CalendrierCalendrier  AccueilAccueil  FAQFAQ  RechercherRechercher  MembresMembres  GroupesGroupes  S'enregistrerS'enregistrer  Connexion  

Partagez

The hanging monkey technique

AuteurMessage
Rod

Kitesurf depuis/since : 1999
Weight/Poids: : 75
Foil: : Feelafloat
Kites/Ailes: : Naish 16m2
Wind/Vent: : 15

The hanging monkey technique Empty
MessageSujet: The hanging monkey technique   The hanging monkey technique EmptyVen 12 Juin 2015 - 16:22

Hello everyone,

I am just starting kitefoiling this summer.

As I am starting with a very high aspect ratio foil it is very difficult to ride due to its instability at low speeds so my learning is turning out to be really tough.

Sailing on this foil (maybe this would apply to any foil but I have not tried any other so I cannot tell for sure) at slow learning speeds (speeds at which you feel you are somehow still under control) is rather wobbly.

A friend of mine with a few years experience on foils, tried mine and said that it is indeed a difficult first time foil but also said that its stability greatly improves with speed.

As most new foilers know the learning process is hard because for clumsy guys like myself it sometimes seems impossible to achieve.

Well, I am exactly in this part of my learning curve, with around 5 one/two hour very light wind sessions already.

Splashes are too frequent for my taste, purpoising is the common cruising method and cuts from the foil are also too frequent for my spiritual comfort.

For me, the feeling is like trying to ride a monocycle ...without the seat! ....a big deal of equilibrium, speed and doing everything you can not to fall into the artifact.

In this arduous task of logging foil time I kind of got into a technique that is yielding some good results just because it kind of provides that little extra confidence of, precisely, not falling into the seatless monocycle.

What I came across, is to hang my complete body as much as possible from the kite by bending my knees at right angles so I am really riding the kite while having my feet lightly posed on the board.

This position gives me a lot of play with the board to correct and to put into it very subtle changes in weight.

I feel much more confident in this position because:

1.- It allows me to control better the foil
2.- It allows me to eject very clear from the board almost anytime

Of course this can only be done if you have enough lift from your kite for (I would say 30% of your body weight)

Thought this could be good to share specially if you are at the same learning phase I am.

Good wind !

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

The hanging monkey technique
Page 1 sur 1