Kitefoil forum
La structure du forum est en cours de modification suite aux demandes de plusieurs membres. Merci de participer à la discussion en cours sur les améliorations possibles ici:
http://kitefoil.forumactif.org/t1188-opportun-de-creer-des-sous-rubriques#11847

Kitefoil forum

Le forum bilingue du Kitefoil -The bilingual Kitefoil forum

CalendrierCalendrier  AccueilAccueil  FAQFAQ  RechercherRechercher  MembresMembres  GroupesGroupes  S'enregistrerS'enregistrer  Connexion  

Partagez

Simple Saftey Suggestions for launching and landing you

AuteurMessage
dwb

dwb

Kitesurf depuis/since : 1999
Masculin Messages : 100
Weight/Poids: : 73
Foil: : diy fk inspired
Kites/Ailes: : North
Wind/Vent: : 7-45

Simple Saftey Suggestions for launching and landing you Empty
MessageSujet: Simple Saftey Suggestions for launching and landing you   Simple Saftey Suggestions for launching and landing you EmptyJeu 6 Fév 2014 - 21:00

Just some ideas for safer launching and landing your kite.
I have heard about and seen accidents that may have been stopped completely or at least injury or death avoided.
It is simple really, by keeping a hand on your trim loop quick release you can disconnect from your kite on launch or landing if any problems!
Please reply if you have any better or different ways, all info welcome as if by one person reading this and DOING it stops an accident then GREAT!
I have read and heard about this from many other sources so by no means claim it as my idea but I sincerely believe and DO IT ALWAYS!
1) unhooked launch, land

Kite Leash attached, trim loop unhooked and held firmly in one hand with other on bar ( de-powered)  to launch or land  with helper.
This seems the safest because all you do is let go if anything goes wrong!
Normally the thumbs up to the  helper to let go of kite is done with “bar” hand not the hand holding trim loop!
I would like to thank Franz Orly because  I first saw him use this technique, maybe he thought of it?
BUT;  You need to be strong and confident enough to hook in after launch , kite flying, Maybe your average kite boarder is not, foilers in my opinion certainly should be!
And you need to be VERY attentive of what, or more importantly who is down wind if you let go! CHILDREN!!!!
But it seems to me that a kite on a leash is much safer than a person hooked in powered up being dragged, maybe in a loop?

2) hooked in launch , land with helper

The kite is not touched by the helper until the rider is fully hooked in, leash attached and looking at the helper!
As I said, if anyone has any thoughts or other methods PLEASE share so we all can be safer!
dwb

THE LINES SHOULD BE SLACK ENOUGH SO THE HELPER CAN MANIPULATE THE KITE WITHOUT PUTTING LINES IN TENSION WHEN GRABBING THE KITE!

How many times have I held a kite up for a guy as he hooks up, not any more! What happens if the helper mistakenly lets go of the kite when he is looking down hooking in!
I think we should take launching any kite for anyone very seriously!
Worst case scenario, on shore strong wind, riders trim loop hooked in but not leash, helper lets go of kite while rider is looking down, one of the lines is around  spreader bar hook hook and
the dreaded kite loop starts dragging him into who, WHAT? Or  he manages to release the kite and because of no leash it is free looping pulling bar behind into who or what?
And it is the riders responsibility to be as close to the correct part of the wind window so the helper does not have to move!!

The rider has his upper hand on the bar in a depowered position and after giving the helper the kite up signal (not launch) he grabs the trim loop release firmly fully ready to use it! If the hand signal is used it is best to use the upper (bar) hand so the other is always on the quick release.
Then after checking line connections and positioning himself in the correct angle of the wind window gives a second  head nod or the traditional thumbs up, but if this,the  hand QUICKLY back on the bar.
HE CAN USE THE LEFT HAND AND GO BACK TO THE SAFETY KNOWING THAT THE HELPER HAS TO WAIT FOR 2 MORE SECONDS BEFORE RELEASING THE KITE!

Then if there is any problem  the rider can disengage the kite quickly.
For landing the same principals are used just in reverse. I often when walking on beach with the kite flying will have a hand on trim loop quick release just in case. I would feel so bad if my kite for any reason lost flight stability  and then repowered possibly hurting someone, Much less chance of injury if the kite is held only by it`s leash.

3) Self launch, no helper

Mandatory if flying by yourself of course.
And my personal choice if at all possible ,because you do not bother anyone and I have 100% control of the situation.
Trim loop is hooked into a carabiner or strong enough support,tow ball on car for example,  kite trim loop pulled to depower fully, and leash attached to seperate connection if at all possible.
Kite is set up on wind window edge, it is l e vertical with the ear on the ground.

flyer returns to bar.
Leash is attached FIRST!
Then trim loop in unhooked from support and hooked onto spreader bar.
QUICKLY bottom hand is placed on quick release just in case.

The advantages of  this are as follows;
You can see if lines are correctly attached when you put the kite up, if not you can quickly put the kite down and fix, but if you accidentally  let go no problem as  the leash will hold.
The kite seeks the correct position in the wind window.
There is no risk of the helper letting go of the kite when you are not ready.
Disadvantages
L E of kite can get roughed up where it comes in contact with ground inbetween the time you set it up and then get back to bar to launch. This can be minimized by running back to bar and launching quickly but under control.
In strong ,gusty wind smaller kites sometimes like to lift of by them selves, I have found that if you put a small amount of sand or  other weight on top of the wing ear that is on the ground near the T E this will prevent premature self launch, but even still if it does the leash is there again!

Laurents method,
I PREFER TO KEEP IT ON LAYING DOWN SIDEWAYS TO THE WIND, IT IS EASY TO LAUNCH ALONE PULLING THE KITE INTO THE WIND AND TWO STEPS TOWARD THE KITE, IT GOES ONTO ITS BACK AND READY TO LAUNCH ; WORKS WITH LIGHT WIND TOO.

To self land reverse order, always disconnect  the leash from yourself and quickly attach to your system, then the trim loop after kite is touching ground on wind window edge.

Please consider sharing this concept the next time you either launch  with help , or help someone else.
Maybe this is overkill as most foilers are experienced kiters but it only takes one freak thing to happen (broken line on launch) to QUICKLY turn situation dangerous!
I personally will not launch a kite for someone if they do not have their hand on the release.
I take launching any ones kite very seriously and because I feel this is the safest way it is like this or not at all!
dwb
Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Simple Saftey Suggestions for launching and landing you
Page 1 sur 1